Saturday, February 21, 2009

Video Games

Basically, I have written and re-written this blog entry about five different times. The reason is because I feel like I'm being too negative, and I don't mean to be. My words are coming out a little more critical than I intend them to be. BUT, I must be honest, and so whatever I write this time, I am keeping. 

This past week in EDU580, we discussed the impact of educational video games on students. We discussed different research articles, we blogged about research articles, we shared opinions, listened intently, and I think, really learned a lot from each other. Personally, I do have some warm and fuzzy feelings for educational video games. Anything that improves students' attitudes toward learning, and anything that engages students is okay with me. I also think video games are great for a change of scenery for students. Instead of listening to a lecture or doing work at their desks, they could use an educational video game to practice certain skills. 

Now here's where I might come off negative (but I don't mean to!). Even though I like educational video games, I'm still a little apprehensive about using them often in a classroom. I think that educators are fighting an uphill battle as far as trying to enhance student learning with video games, but fighting nonetheless. I think it's an uphill battle because so many students are used to excellent graphics on video games that they play at home. Can we compete with that? Can we expect students to be engaged and excited about educational video games when they're so used to games like Resident Evil, RockBand, Call of Duty 4, and Halo? I just feel a little helpless about. I think we're trying to do the right thing with using educational video games by giving students something they can connect with and something that will engage them, but will their excitement last? I hope it does, I really do, but I think we have to be extremely picky and careful about what kinds of video games we use and how often we use them. I think they can be a great educational tool, but I don't think that they are the answer for everything. Ultimately, it is up to the teacher to impart knowledge on the students, and it is our job to make sure students understand and master certain material. Though video games can sometimes help us do that, we need to be aware that we are the most important factor.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with many of the things you said. The graphics on educational games is very often not as good as what they have at home. Maybe before too long they will create Wii games that are interactive for the classroom with good graphics. Why would any company want to spend money on creating something for education when they can create a multi million dollar game... it just isnt going to happen any time soon. I'm glad you brought this up in your blog!!

    ReplyDelete