As stated in my previous entry, my class and I were fortunate enough to receive a tour of Mountain Lake PBS as well as a virtual tour of all of the PBS teacher resources. Below is an idea or an outline for a lesson plan using two of the PBS resources.
My lesson would be written for 7th or 8th graders, and would be about the Pythagorean Theorem. We all know the importance of Pythagorean Theorem; we see it constantly throughout our high school math classes. This lesson would be an introduction to the theorem as well as practice and reinforcement for using the theorem. What I would do is show students the "Triangles in Architecture" flash image from the VITAL website. These images show very famous architectural structures that feature triangles. This would be a great way to introduce triangle geometry and show students that triangles are used in architecture everywhere. It allows students to connect triangle geometry to the outside world. After the slideshow of images, I would then teach them about right triangles and the Pythagorean Theorem. I would show them the theorem, and walk them through the steps of solving problems using the theorem. Then, instead of having students practice with pencil and paper, I would have students practice their new skills using an interactive game found at pbsteachers.org. The game is entitled The Pythagorean Theorem. This interactive game walks students through the Pythagorean Theorem (great reinforcement), and then provides students with exercises to practice using the Pythagorean Theorem. I really like this game because it is a fresh and new way for students to practice using the Pythagorean Theorem. I think that students would be more engaged and would be having more fun than if they were using pencil and paper. What I really like about this game is that it provides students with a calculator, and so the questions are not simple. They challenge students, and they correct students' mistakes. The last part of the game is a review, which is really beneficial for students. I think this lesson would do well with students, and I can't wait to show my students these cool resources.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I thought that your lesson was very well thought out and developed. Math has always been a difficult subject for me so being able to use different resources in order to deliver a lesson is always helpful and I think that your lesson definitely did that. Thanks for sharing your ideas!
ReplyDelete